Sunday, April 21, 2013

Day 12--Meet the Gila


It was 13 miles from where we camped to Doc's store and our zero day. We started hiking just before 8 wearing frozen socks and frozen shoes. They thawed quickly--becoming very cold and wet. Didn't matter much--we had a river to cross.
Portrait crossing the Gila for the first time that morning

It wasn't yet 8 when Portrait crossed the Gila the first time that day. I took a quick photo of him knee deep and put my camera away in a ziplock in my pack. There it stayed for the rest of the day.


Doc Campbell's--the center of the town stop
River crossings are slow work. Our average was frighteningly low for two people who had already hike 200 miles. I non-stopped nibbled--blowing through way more food than I expected. We crossed the river 50 times in 13 miles over the course of 8 hours. But we made it to Doc's store almost dry and only slightly worse for wear minutes before the store closed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment